Description: Mindfulness is the basic human ability to be fully present and aware of where we are and what we are doing. Here at Ojaswu, the concept of mindfulness is extremely important. If you haven’t already read our blog post on our 5 Elements of Ojas, click here!
Mindfulness is our 5th element of Ojas as it brings it all together. Your daily activities provide ample chances for you to practice mindfulness and you can inculcate this practice into your daily routine. It is actually a type of meditation that involves breathing methods and may also include guided imagery. The main purpose of this practice is to reduce stress and bring the body into a relaxed and peaceful state.
What are the benefits of mindfulness?
Mindfulness and meditation are much studied and researched fields; the preliminary studies show that mindfulness is effective in treating various mental conditions and can also help people with fibromyalgia. Following are the medical conditions that can be addressed using mindfulness:
- High blood pressure
Mindfulness can help you improve attention, provide diabetes control, improve the sleeping pattern, and also reduce exhaustion and dullness.
But how can we implement and practice mindfulness in our daily lives? Here are some easy ways!
Some of the examples of practicing mindfulness include living in the moment, paying attention, accepting yourself, and focusing on your breathing. You can also go for the more structured mindfulness exercises to improve your health and wellbeing. Implement these practices in your daily routine in the following ways:
- Practice mindful mornings. Start your day with a purpose by waking up with intention. We believe that it all depends on your intention whether you motivate yourself to do something or not. It is said that our unconscious brain is responsible for most of our behaviours and decision making and mindfulness can help you align most of your habits with the primal emotional drive. When you wake up, sit on a chair or in your bed in a relaxed position and take three nourishing long breaths. Also ask yourself the purpose and intention for the day.
- Practice mindfulness during routine daily activities. This helps you bring awareness to activities that you may do without thinking, like washing the dishes, brushing your teeth, taking a shower or doing the laundry. These can become transformational tasks and chores. No matter what you’re doing you can just move and breathe and allow your mind, body, and spirit to synchronize with each other. Always warm up before doing something and settle into a rhythm. Be clear for your daily activities and after you’re done with something, cool down and relax.
- Practice mindfulness while eating. Eating mindfully can help you reignite the pleasure of food. Removing distractions and focusing on the immediate experience. This is known to help eat slower, and aid in digestion. Mindful eating can help you realize that eating is one of the most pleasurable activities that the human beings experience. To practice mindful eating, take breathe before eating and listen to your body. Always practice peaceful eating and eat according to your hunger.
- Practice mindfulness during your workout. Working out to just burn calories can only take you so far. Focusing on your movements and breathing will help you synchronize your body and mind which will lead to a greater ability to bring all of you energy to the task.
- Practice mindfulness while driving. Driving to and back from work or school can be a very mindless activity in the day, since it is repetitive and often can be a source of frustration during traffic hour. Using your daily commute to help practice mindfulness by sometimes switching off the radio, notice your surroundings and have a present-focused attention while driving. A stressful commute in traffic can now be an unwinding activity that helps you distress after a long day of work.
Mindfulness may seem simple but it isn’t necessarily very easy because the real thing is to do it regularly. So try practicing mindfulness in your day to day activities by fixing a time for doing it regularly! These simple practices can help you breathe space into your daily monotonous routines.