Description: Why should you choose organic? In this post you’ll learn about the shocking differences between the organic and GMO foods so that you can make a wise decision regarding your health and wellbeing.
In Canada, the term “organic” refers to the way agricultural products are grown and processed, where organic food is produced using more environmentally and animal friendly farming methods. To have a food legally labelled as organic with the Canada Organic logo, it means that the food product abides by the government organic standards and regulations, which applies to both domestic and imported products. Every country has different regulations to make sure that the foods are as healthy as possible. With that said, we believe that not all organic and non-GMO foods are perfect. To get into the details, you must do some research and reach a conclusion.
What do organic foods offer?
- Organic produce contains fewer pesticides as compared to GMO foods.
- Chemicals such as fungicides, herbicides, and insecticides are widely used in conventional agriculture and can be found on or in the food we eat. We will be talking about the dangers of pesticides very soon!
- The regulations and standards for organic foods place restrictions on the use of toxic pesticides for growing crops, but there are no as such rules and regulations for GMO crops.
- Organic farming is better for the environment.
- Organic farming practices reduce pollution, conserve water, reduce soil erosion, increase soil fertility, and use less energy.
- Organic farming practices resemble natural environment and it also leads to sustainability. No artificial fertilizers are used, soils are healthier because they store more carbon, and farmers are motivated to ‘close the loop’ on their farms.
- Organically raised animals are not given antibiotics, growth hormones, or fed animal byproducts.
- Feeding livestock animal byproducts increases the risk of mad cow disease (BSE) and the use of antibiotics can create antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria.
- The packaged non-GMO meat products may contain meat of animals that have been given growth hormones or steroids. The traces of such drugs like ractopamine can increase the risk of several diseases especially those related to the cardiovascular system.
- Organic meat and milk are richer in certain nutrients.
- Results of a 2016 European study show that levels of certain nutrients, including omega-3 fatty acids, were up to 50 percent higher in organic meat and milk than in conventionally raised versions.
- The organic farming features higher welfare for the animals; it encourages the animals to graze, forage, and roam on large grass lands with fresh air. These leads to the better health of animals.
- Certified organic foods are non-GMO.
- Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) or genetically engineered (GE) foods are plants whose DNA has been altered in ways that cannot occur in nature or in traditional crossbreeding. It is best to avoid GMOs and the best way to do this is to choose organic, because certified organic foods are GMO free.
These are just some of the many benefits opting for organic foods offers. If you choose organic, it means that you’re supporting the work of the farmers and choosing safe food over the conventional products. The organic farmers put a lot of effort into farming which pays off in the form of high quality food. However, sometimes it is not always feasible for people to purchase only organic foods for their families. Stay tuned for some helpful tips that we will soon share on small steps you can take to making better choices at the grocery store!
Choose Canada Organic: https://choosecanadaorganic.ca/organic101/